After completing this lesson, you will be able to:
- Recognize powerful strategies to recruit teachers
- Identify ways to retain quality teachers
- Understand the benefits of a teacher mentor program
Listen for things the principal initially failed to include in the process as well as the recommendations made by her mentor.
Now that you have watched the video, you probably have some feelings and opinions about the school leaders behavior.
Below are some questions and statements to consider and discuss and even write down before talking to a colleague about them:
- What are some of the most crucial components of the hiring process?
- How can you engage others in the process without losing total control of the process?
- What additional recommendations would you give the school leader that weren’t provided by the mentor?
The school leader in this video is engaged in a conversation with her mentor about the process of replacing a teacher who was dismissed. The mentor encourages the school leader to evaluate her hiring process as well as the goals of the new hire.
Due to copyright law, several readings cannot be hosted on this site. However, we encourage you to ask for assistance locating materials from your library media specialist. Many library services are freely available to educators.
Eight Questions on Teacher Recruitment and Retention: What Does the Research Say?
This very comprehensive report for the Education Commission of the States thoroughly addresses recruitment and retention. The report addresses eight essential questions related to recruitment and retention. The entire report is very informative, but questions 3,4,7, and 8 are essential for this module.
Allen, M. (2005). Eight questions on teacher recruitment and retention. Retrieved from http://www.ecs.org/
Preparation, recruitment, and retention of teachers
This short online booklet addresses research findings related to preparation, recruitment, and retention of quality teachers. For the purpose of this module, focus on sections 1, 3, 5, and 6.
Cooper, J. & Alvorado, A. (n.d.). Preparation, reruitment, and retetention of teachers. Retrieved from https://smec.curtin.edu.au/
- What are some of the most important steps to take to ensure a successful hiring process?
- How can schools successfully recruit teachers?
- What steps should be taken to retain high quality teachers?
- How can/should a school implement a successful mentor program?